Dear Government of Zimbabwe
Cc: Zimbabwe National Water Authority (ZINWA)
May you please assist by sharing with us and the nation HOWFAR has progress been made towards the formulation and implementation of the National Dam Safety Plan as enunciated in Section 485 of the National Development Strategy 1 (NDS1).
The country’s national development policy document makes the following policy pronouncements towards improving access to water in Zimbabwe:
485. The strategies will encompass the development of the National Dam Safety Plan and its implementation, strengthening existing capacities for water resources management and the further development of water resources to cater for existing and future demand as well as reducing hydrological and climatic vulnerability.
488. During the NDS1 Period, construction works on ongoing dam projects will be
accelerated while the inspection programme for all major dams in the country to
assess risks to public safety, extent of water losses, and extent of siltation will be
Importance of a National Dam Safety Plan
The National Dam Safety Plan is important for the following reasons:
- It helps to improve water supply in the country, especially for vulnerable communities;
- The Plan will improve dam infrastructure to be climate resilient;
- The Plan will assist in ensuring that dams are maintained and thus reduce the incidences of water poverty due to dam bursts and leakages;
- A secure and well maintained dam protects downstream communities from the vulnerabilities of dam bursts
- A secure dam will keep more water and thus enhancing secure livelihoods and human rights for communities depending on it.
As MIHR we hope you will give a public statement on this issue as the Constitution of Zimbabwe read together with Freedom of Information Act accords us citizens the right to access ANY information held by the state and all agencies of the state at every level in as far as the information is needed for public accountability and the protection and promotion of human rights.